Sunday 25 September 2011

Overdressed? Me? Maybe...

Today was an incredibly important event - one of my closest, oldest friend's 18th birthday parties! She may not be 18 for a few days, but this was a very special party.. friends and family alike gathered to celebrate her becoming an adult. And I just want to say that it was a brilliant party, and we love her very much. Also thankyou for providing such a great excuse to dress up..

Dress - Topshop; Shoes - New Look; Tights - Primark; Bag - present from friend; Bracelet - Pull & Bear; Earrings - Accessorize.
For once in my life, dressing up didn't equal patterns, prints & glitter (much) and today I went back to black.. mostly because I was desperate to wear my new Topshop LBD! It's the only LBD I've ever owned, and I'm quite in love with the detail around the neck, which I feel stopped it being too boring and plain. The red lipstick, gold clutch and nails (detail later) all added a bit of interest - while top-to-toe black remains a classically cool combo. The ponytail was to show off the detail on the back of the dress, and it didn't hurt that it is this season's go-to updo. I think this is a look I could replicate & update for years to come without it getting old - even if I do say so myself, this dress is a brilliant investment. The wedges were also the most sensible of my heels, considering it was an 18th party (bottle of wine for the table anyone?) and coupled with the updo added much-needed height to my frame.

Now here's the promised detail on my nails.. it's not perfect but I saw the idea somewhere and decided that for my next party look I would replicate it so... ta dahhh! Glitter dipped tips. Not bad for a first go I think. To achieve this sparkly look I simply painted my nails in Nails Inc Polish in Saville Row (although I'm pretty sure it will work in any colour combo), applying as normal with base coat etc, and then painted the tips with clear top coat before dipping into GOSH nail glitter in gold. Word to the wise, the gold gets everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Also, have a tissue or brush ready to sweep off the excess glitter. After the glitter layer had dried I painted the clear topcoat on all over and left my nails to dry. Simplest thing ever, but it looks so unique! And it would work with pretty much any colours.

The nail glitter was a new find of mine - I saw it in the shop and decided I simply had to try it. But finding an occasion was quite difficult.. This party was ideal. The glitter tips isn't all you could do with it though, for full-on glamour you could do your whole nail in glitter, or any design/pattern you can dream up! I'm thinking this glitter is a staple for Christmas. And though it might feel a little OTT, I personally think it's always better to stand out than blend in! Love and kisses, Tara xox

No comments:

Post a Comment