Monday 24 October 2011

Fashion Confession.

It's a quiet, relaxing little Monday on this beautiful half term week. Finally, some time to myself.. And I can think of something quite appropriate to confess to you all today.

If nobody is going to see me, I won't make the effort.

Now doesn't that sound paradoxical after all my explanations that I dress for myself, to express how I'm feeling and that I don't care if people don't like my style as long as I do. Surely by my own criteria I should be hanging around my house in my usual dressed up style, wearing dresses, full makeup and my ever-present jewellery! But no, if nobody is going to see me looking fabulous, then I simply won't bother. This especially applies if I'm not stepping foot out of the door of my house, like this afternoon. Right now (and it pains me to admit this) I'm wearing a hoodie. Admittedly awesome, by David & Goliath, but still.. I would never wear a hoodie to college, because it would look like I'd made no effort. At home however, I have made no effort. The only people who are going to see me are my parents, and they see you at your most unattractive anyway (like when you're ill, bleurgh), so it's all about comfort.

All about comfort sounds misleading too.. that makes it sound like I dress for function all the time. Which everyone knows isn't true. For absolutely anything else I will get dressed up to my usual standard - even if I am going to a friend's house, just me & her sitting around eating junk food and watching rubbish on TV, I would get dressed up properly. I think it is because I don't want to lower people's opinions of my style by not always dressing the best I can. Either way it means I am full of contradictions.. or just a fashion hypocrite. One way or the other, inside my own home I reserve the right to dag around in ugly, comfortable clothes, or my PJs - as long as nobody sees me. As soon as you add another person into the equation, image becomes everything. Shallow, maybe. Contradictory, probably. But it makes sense in my head. Love and kisses, Tara xox

No comments:

Post a Comment