Sunday 20 November 2011

Saturday night, I feel the air is getting hot.

I wish. Unfortunately, that's only the lyrics of the song, not reality. And yes, I am aware that it is Sunday (ugh) and not Saturday, but today's post is a little update about my Saturday night.. Hardly a big party, but since it was my lovely mum's birthday yesterday we all went out for a meal at an Indian restaurant in a nearby village that is one of her favourites. You all know what happens when I go out.. I get all dressed up!

Dress - River Island; Blazer - Topshop; Tights - New Look; Shoes & Ring - ASOS; Earrings - H&M; Clutch - present from friend.
Well hello new platforms.. Finally, an opportunity for your fashion baptism. If you can see the size of the heel, you will understand why they have been wrapped up all dormant in their shoebox since I got them - there is no chance of me walking all around college in them, no way Jose! But aren't they pretty? And that should be the main aspect of heels in my opinion.. they should look amazing, and screw comfort. Anyway, I'm glad that going out for a meal gave me the chance to road test these babies since I have been dying to wear them. The conclusion is: they are BEAUTIFUL. Also more comfortable than they look..

I could talk about these tobacco, 70s-esque platforms all day if you let me, but that would get boring.. so let's mention what was going on in my head when I composed the rest of the outfit. First off, I did build the look around the shoes, unsurprisingly. Secondly, one distinct phrase was going around my head as I got dressed - more is more. Hence the pailette front dress (that does make me feel a little like a mermaid) and star print tights. Pailettes, and sequins in general are major trends for the party season this winter since it is all about making a statement and stars are still a hot print, then combined with the 70s platforms.. this all adds up to an outfit that's very du jour. That's not why I did it though, I did it because I felt like it.

I've spent so long gushing about how much I love my shoes (too much) and what I put together that I've barely mentioned the main reason for even leaving the house last night and not spending it like my usual Saturday evenings, watching TV, sitting by the fire & occasional homework - of course, the anniversary of the birth of my mum! Here's the birthday girl with me..

Hoping she enjoyed her meal out and then the dessert, lovingly made by yours truly..

It's not my most successful cake, for starters I didn't have all the ingredients and wasn't convinced by the ones I ended up using, then when removing each layer from the tins they began to fall apart (disaster), and finally I had icing issues. All in all a little bit of a kitchen nightmare (but with less swearing than Gordon Ramsey's), but the finished product isn't too bad - I used icing to hold it all together, and while looking a bit precarious and homemade it hasn't collapsed yet. And besides, the proof, as they say, is in the pudding.. and it tastes gorgeous. Nomnomnom. And just in case you're curious, this is no ordinary cake! It is a vegan cake, in other words eggless. Before you ask how it actually works, the secret is orange juice with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in place of eggs - the reaction makes a mixture similar to beaten eggs and makes the other ingredients combine just the same. Even though I didn't actually use orange juice this time (we had none!), I subbed in apple juice and it still tastes fine and dandy. Fashion/cookery rambles over. Comment if you're interested in any of it, clothes, recipe, anything.. Love and kisses, Tara xox

No comments:

Post a Comment