Sunday 22 April 2012

Step back in time.

Last night was another one of my friend's 18ths - yes, they're all turning into adults before me, it's quite annoying actually... But not to worry, only a few little days until my birthday. It was a really good party last night, age-related jealousy aside, as we all rocked up in our costumes, then talked, danced and drank the night away (over-18s only, I was on the Diet Coke all night). Since the birthday girl is called Briannie, we had been told to come dressed as things beginning with B. I love a good costume party because I love dressing up, and themes like this force me to get creative.

At the party there were costumes such as burglars, bumblebees, black swan, burlesque (this was a guy, by the way), Barbie and Beyonce (the birthday girl), and everyone looked awesome. I love it when people make effort for costume parties! As for my costume, of course I didn't pick something easy or obvious to dress up as.. Thanks to my extensive wardrobe, an obsession with old movies and google images I found my B - Barbara Stanwyck. No? Me neither, until I watched one of her films on youtube. She was a film actress from the 1920s-1940s and was full of glamour. And I just happened to own a flapper dress..


Dress - River Island; Shoes - New Look; Faux Fur Stole - Ebay; Earrings - Roam at New Look; Bracelet - Accessorize.

I don't do things by halves, so when it comes to costumes I go for it! I have actually been waiting for months for a chance to wear this River Island flapper-esque dress - it is just too extravagant for everyday wear, and there had been no appropriate parties previously.. So when the opportunity came, I went for it. The only thing I actually had to buy for this costume was the faux fur stole, which was an ebay bargain. I actually got a little attached to it during the night, and am hoping I can re-use it soon. I also really love the embellishment on this dress - it almost looks vintage! Especially when paired with the stole, gorgeous gold heels and some authentic, 1920s style hair and makeup...

As I said, I go all out for costumes so of course I could never be content with leaving my hair and makeup in the 21st century.. I had to go for it. Originally I was just planning on some 1920s style finger waves, but after much messing around with straighteners and hairspray I didn't look gorgeous and glamorous like a  1920s film star, I looked like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. So I abandoned that plan and went for a faux bob with some faux finger waves at the front, all held up with a few hundred pins. I actually used this tutorial on youtube and adapted it a little for my hair - if you want a quick, easy 1920s hairstyle, this is perfect.


Kudos to vasgarcia for creating this video, it really is super-easy and stays in place all night!

One last little thing to say.. I hit 100 followers! This made me so happy when I signed in to start posting today - thankyou to all of my followers for reading, commenting and finding me interesting enough that you want to be informed of my latest fashion escapades and musings! I really love posting my outfits and general fashion obsessions, and I am so glad other people like them too. Again, thankyou so much, and I am even more inspired to keep posting now. 

Love and kisses, Tara xox

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Barbara Stanwyck until now,but you do look like a classic film star in the dress and with your hair like that. Congratulations on reaching 100 followers! xx

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful! That dress is so elegant on you. A letter themed party sounds like a real laugh!

    http://avatallulah.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the metallic heels
    <3
    X the cookies
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this look

    http://navlandstyle.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing outfit! I´m in love with your dress <3<3 is so beautiful...
    Come to visit my blog:

    http://bimbaymery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely look. Love the 1920s!
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heya my lovely, i tagged you in a post! I thought you deserved a nice award :)Come have a look! <3

    You look absolutely gorgeous in that outfit, the 1920 dress is to die for!

    Lots of Love, Ana
    cupcakesandflowers.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. <you look so cute :) love the 1920 fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress! Love the style

    http://www.afterflats.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet skirt!
    s

    ReplyDelete